Thursday 3 December 2015

Artist Research - Thomas Ruff

This photograph is lovely in my opinion, the subject has a very interesting face, as it isn't symmetrical, Thomas Ruff's photos are similar in that they are all deadpan, however, they are very different because each person is different. the colours they have chosen to wear may show an underlying emotion that isn't shown through facial expressions or body language in the photo.
In this photograph I think that the model is showing emotion, I think that he is almost smiling and part of me seeing this may be the fact that he is wearing yellow, yellow is a colour that signifies happiness for most people and I think Ruff knew this when he took the photograph.

I love his photographs, although they are very similar in that they all show no facial expression, however in some ways this is better, you can choose to see any emotion you want in these people, they are easy to relate to because you have no definite idea what they are feeling. Furthermore, I really like the colours in this photograph, the hair and shirt are the same colour and they are very plain dull colours, so as not to show any connotations towards emotions.

I chose to study Thomas Ruff's portraits for Portraiture, I really like his work because I think it's very simple. It is similar to how a photo would be taken in a Photo Booth, the lighting isn't inventive and I think it's just very direct and face on. I like his photos because it shows us that even though you can see peoples emotions in other photographs, it doesn't mean we actually know how they're feeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment