Tuesday 12 January 2016

Definition Post - Landscape & Ansel Adams

To take landscape photographs, we need:

  • A camera
  • A tripod
  • Zoom lens
  • Wide angle lens
  • Rain sleeve
  • Lens cleaner
  • Fliters
  • Spare Batteries
  • Memory Card

Definition: 

Landscape photography shows spaces within the world, they can be incredibly vast photographs or they can show only a small patch of land. Landscape photographs usually capture nature but they can also capture man made objects.

Analysis of Ansel Adams' Work:

I think Ansel Adams' work is odd, his photos look very edited and quite grainy. I think that the sky looks unedited but then the amount of bright light on the mountains instead of shadows make the rest of the photographs look very edited. Ansel Adams uses pre-visualisation to have an idea as to what the photo will look like.

This is another photograph by Ansel Adams, I like this photo more than the last because it looks more realistic and a lot less grainy. I think the colours contrast a lot more in his photographs than some other black and white photographs, this may be because the whites are a lot brighter and the blacks are a lot darker. I like this contrast even though I don't really like his photos that much in general. His photographs have a wide depth of field which I think looks really good because if he used a narrow depth of field we wouldn't be able to see detail in everything and I think that the photo needs that.

This photo by Ansel Adams is very unrealistic in my opinion, I don't like it as much as the second one because it's a lot lighter and personally I prefer darker photographs. I think that the water falling from the rocks and hitting the river surface look very fake and over edited. personally I prefer photographs that are subtly edited and don't look unrealistic.

Ansel Adams got his inspiration from Yosemite National Park and he took black and white landscape photographs of it. He was a co-founder of the group f/64, this group was made up of seven photographers in the southern California area, after the Great Depression in America, the pictures that group f/64 took were of natural objects and were sought after by the public because they were a sign of hope in a bleak time, they were seen as a sign of hope because of massive public work projects like Hoover Dam. 
Adams primarily used large format cameras because they had a higher resolution. He also created the Zone System with Fred Archer as a way to determine proper exposure and adjust the contrast of the final print.

F/64 refers to the smallest aperture on a camera, the effect that having a camera at f/64 would be that the photograph would have a very large depth of field, meaning a large amount of the photograph would be in focus, they saw the camera as a passive viewer of the world, so they didn't want to focus on any particular object and detract away from the rest of the photograph.

He inspired me to look into rural photography more, and he also inspired me to experiment with slower shutter speeds and using a tripod, I definitely want to use my tripod more because I think it gives me the option to get steadier photographs



No comments:

Post a Comment