Wednesday 11 May 2016

Artist Research - David Lachapelle

David Lachapelle is a portrait photographer who takes photographs of mostly celebrities, his photographs are extremely saturated like this photograph, this photograph is definitely improved by the saturation, it looks a lot brighter and hotter and the colours are a lot more powerful, it works because the photo is meant to be fun.
However you wouldn't be able to do this with any type of photograph because some photos, like war documentary, is better with muted colour, as it gives meaning to the photo.
Overall I think that this photograph works really well, he has made it look a lot more exciting than it probably was, just by using colour.


This is a photograph of Courtney Love by David Lachapelle, he has gotten inspiration from christian images and ideas for this photograph, to signify Courtney as a godly being. The lighting he has used also shows this, there is light coming from behind her, creating almost a halo around her, although we can se its from the horrible little lightbulb on the ceiling, I love this photograph because Lachapelle has made it look beautiful in what is really a horrible situation.


This is another photograph by David Lachapelle, it is of David Bowie, I think this is a really good photograph because you don't notice David Bowie straight away, theres lots of other characters on there that you might look at first, because next to them, David Bowie is very normal looking. Although, I still think that he is the main subject of the photograph, his face is the only one that looks very human, as the others are all masks. 
In addition, I think that the colours are lovely. The red is very rich, in contrast to the masks which are usually a pink or white colour.

He has inspired me to look at using colour a lot more, I can use different colours to show emotions in my photographs, he has also inspired me to take more portraits, I really like the human form and I could take photographs of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment